Friday, June 09, 2006

World Vision

Over the past few years I've developed the vision that this physical Earth on which we sit is not just something to be ignored while waiting on the much better home in Heaven. There are lots of indications in the Bible that Jesus wants us here, being salt and light; there are indications that sin actually, physically, corrupts the land where sin occurs. Some deep stuff that I'm not wanting to go into at the moment.

But I just came across an interesting verse, in Revelation 11:18:
The nations were angry, and Your wrath has come,
And the time of the dead, that they should be judged,
And that You should reward Your servants the prophets and the saints,
And those who fear Your name, small and great,
And should destroy those who destroy the earth.
Notice that last line? Yhwh's not happy about us destroying our Earth; I suspect He then would not be particularly happy about us ignoring it either, allowing it to fall apart around us while we look to a new Heaven and a new Earth (which is a Biblical concept, just not, apparently, to the exclusion of taking care of this one and keeping it running as long as we can).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not quite sure how this figures in, but your scripture reminded me of Leviticus 18:24-27. Basically, God says that the people living in Cannan have caused the land to be unclean, and that the land will "vomit" them out of the land.

Lev 18:24-27
24“Do not become unclean in any of these ways. By these practices all the nations which I am forcing out of your way have become unclean. 25The land has become unclean. I will punish it for its sins. The land will vomit out those who live in it. 26Live by my standards, and obey my rules. Neither you nor any foreigner should ever do any of these disgusting things. 27The people of the land who were there before you did all these disgusting things. As a result, the land has become unclean.

GOD'S WORD