Friday, June 09, 2006

New Words

In an earlier post I mentioned watching a Woody Allen flick, "Anything Else", from which I learned several new words. Here's my list:

hebetudinous
amphigories
veridical
polymath
maladroit
adventiciously
homunculus
typhlosis / lotic
neoteric
tergiversate

I'll leave it up to the reader to learn what these words mean. (A couple I was familiar with, but didn't really know.)

The phrase "vino veritas" was also mentioned, in contrast to "eros veritas". I still haven't gotten around to looking that up. (I hope I didn't just say something offensive.)

Woody's character also ranted at one point, if my memory serves me correctly, about people always going to psychologists and psychoanalysts, etc, trying to find answers to Life. He wrapped up that little rant by saying that people should just learn that "Life is what it is". Somehow that resonated with me, but I'd have to see that scene again to figure out more about why it resonated. Still, thought I'd mention it, because, after all, this is a blog, which means I can rant all I want about meaningless nothings.

Vox Day uses an interesting word: "omniderigence". Apparently it's a voxism, meaning:

Performing universal action, providing sole and total motivation; all-acting.
It refers to the idea that God is a micro-manager, not only knowing how many hairs are on your head, but also being responsible for when each one falls out. (Vox believes this is a non-Biblical concept.)

Lots of fun, learning new words.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rant-on!!

Eclat the Poetaster said...

Here is the list of words I compiled from this film, but I have one I can't spell:

Amphigory
hepitudinous
hyphlotic
homunculous
neoteric
farrage
veridical
vantz (?)
tergiversate
adventitous

vantz ???