Friday, June 23, 2006

My brother Darrell, and my other brother Darrell

In reading the books of Chronicles recently, I kept coming upon lists of brothers who had very similar names. I'm not enough of a scholar to know for sure that these are brothers rather than more distant relations, but the first impression I'm left with is that some folks in those days used the same name, or nearly the same name, for different children. Here's some examples from 1 Chronicles:

1 Chron 1:33 - the sons of Midian, Ephah and Epher

4:15 - the sons of Jehallelel, Ziph and Ziphah

4:20 - the sons of Ishi, Zoheth and Ben-Zoheth

7:16 - two brothers named Peresh and Sheresh

7:30 - two brothers named Ishvah and Ishvi

14:3 - David's sons, Elpelet and Eliphelet (both named "Eliphelet" in 3:6)

25:4 - Heman's sons, Hananiah and Hanani

It seems there were others, but I'm not finding them now. I just found this interesting.

No comments: