Friday, June 09, 2006

Epiphany

This morning I had an epiphany.

I was thinking about a man I know who has typically had great success meeting women and, um, "dating" them. (Yeah, that's the term; "dating".) He's married now, and has been married for about 5 years. He's been married before, I think twice.

It struck me that he's great with meeting women, but has not been so great with keeping them. I really hope he keeps the current one, because she's a dandy.

Anyway, on to my epiphany. It struck me that there are two skillsets involved here:

1) meeting women (and one-night standing them)

2) keeping a woman

I've never been good with meeting women (and refuse to one-night stand them, hormones notwithstanding - women (in general, and that one woman specifically) are more valuable to me than that). But perhaps I have that second skill of maintaining a long-term relationship. This thought encourages me somewhat.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This may be just slightly off-topic but...
After seeing an advert for a new reality show on ABC called "How to Get the Guy," it occured to me, why are there so many shows and services advertised about getting married/ hooked-up? There are "The Bachelor," "The Bachlorette," match.com, LiveLinks and many more.

What I would love to see would be a reality show called "How to Keep the Guy." In this day and age, that would be a unique concept.

Anonymous said...

Hey Big Brother,
You are a great guy so don't get discouraged. I do think you will be really good at being a "keeper" when you do find the person you want to "keep." Remember God knows what is best for you. You probably don't want advice from you little sister but to find a "keeper" you need to meet and date some women. You are a wonderful Big Brother and I thank God that I have you for a brother. I pray that God does have a "keeper" out there for you and you find her if that is what He wants for you. Just some rambling from:
Your Little (sometimes pesky)Sister