Monday, March 26, 2007

Out with the Old, In with the New

I just finished the Old Testament last night.

When I was a teenager I started trying to read the entire Bible, from Genesis to Revelation. I've had some periods where I've failed to be consistent, but over the years I've managed to read through the KJV, the NASB, the NIV, the NKJV, and now I'm working on The Message (which is a great reading Bible, but a lousy study Bible). I've got a "rule" that I have to read one chapter of the Bible every night. It takes me about three and a half years to get all the way through.

After finishing the OT this time 'round, the following themes seem most dominant in my mind:

1. Acknowledge and honor YHWH.
2. Treat others with justice and fairness.
3. Be truthful and honest.
4. God is most concerned with the fortunes of a nation as a whole rather than with individuals (without being unconcerned about individuals).
5. Government tends to corruption, and corrupt government is evil. Government conspires to take away the rights and properties of the individuals. (And I've seen this lately in my efforts to utilize my land, build a house, etc. Government has stolen much from me, simply because "they" can.)

No comments: