Thursday, July 20, 2006

An Interesting Turn of Phrase

"The Message" renders Job 31:12 thusly:
Adultery is a fire that burns the house down; I wouldn't expect anything I count dear to survive it.
Earlier, as rendered by the NIV, Job states:
I have made a covenant with my eyes not to look lustfully at a girl.
and
If my heart has been enticed by a woman, or if I have lurked at my neighbor's door, then may my wife grind another man's grain, and may other men sleep with her.
These statements mean something. I think men everywhere should take them to heart.

---

Now, leaving a more spiritual and pure mindset, and dropping briefly into the gutter, I gotta admit that my brain at first glance rendered this last quote as "may my wife grind another man's groin". Which, I suppose, means the same thing, just not in such symbolic language.

No comments: