Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Divorce, Returning-Exile Style

I'm not sure what to do with the passage in Ezra 9-10. After all the preaching I've heard at church about the evils of divorce, I find that the Jews under Ezra determined "purity of race" to be more important than the sanctity of marriage vows.

The passage basically says that they realized that the people of Israel have not kept themselves separate from the nations around them, having intermarried with those people. Accordingly, they decided to divorce non-Israelite spouses and separate from them and from any offspring of those unions.

I'm not sure what to do with this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Big Brother,
This is interesting to me so I plan to do some reading about it and see what I come up with. Thanks for sharing.
Lil' Sis