Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Ding-Dongs have Shrunk

Anybody else notice that Hostess Ding-Dongs have really shrunk?

When they went bankrupt last year, I thought I had had my last Ding-Dong. Too bad, as I've maintained for years that Big Red and a Ding-Dong comprise the breakfast of champions.

Then when Hostess made a resurrection, I happily looked for Ding-Dongs on the store shelves. I found Twinkies and Cup Cakes, but not Ding-Dongs.

Finally, I started seeing Ding-Dongs on the shelves, and I bought a couple of boxes.

When I opened them, I was a little disappointed to notice that the snack cake had shrunk a little bit, but understanding something of the need for cutting back on expenses, I chose to be understanding, and to accept the change.

Then a few boxes later, I noticed the individual packing had changed, such that instead of a blank white plastic wrap, it was now a white plastic wrap with the red Hostess logo patterned onto it.

But as soon as I had one of the individual packages in my hand, I strongly suspected the new packaging was an attempt to distract the buyer from the real change -- the snack cake is now about half the size it was prior to the bankruptcy.

I'll finish my current box of Ding-Dongs, but if my now-planned future purchasing pattern is any indication of Hostess' fortunes, the treat-maker will soon be facing another bankruptcy.



Originally posted at: http://kentwest.blogspot.com/2014/01/ding-dongs-have-shrunk.html

18 comments:

Sheri said...

Okay trying this comment a second time: Before the bankruptcy, Hostess products were delivered fresh to my store every day but Sunday. Now they are shipped to our store frozen once or twice a week. The original Hostess company does not exist anymore; a different company purchased the name and the recipes. There is no way it is the same quality of product if it's being delivered frozen instead of fresh.

Sheri said...

I got to thinking, are you sure your ding dongs are smaller. Maybe they only look smaller because your belly got bigger from eating them? Hee hee.

Anonymous said...

They used to be the size of a hockey puck now they're the size of a golf ball ripoff

Anonymous said...

Just eating some now and that was the first thing I thought as I opened the package. I remember when they were wrapped in tin foil. Then they were wrapped in an all-white packaging. Now it's the see-through material. Not too long ago, the boxes were 17 oz. Now it is 12.7.

88MilesPerHr said...

I miss the original size! Also, the foil wrap was better.

Since they're now half the size, they need to rebrand just as 'Dings' or perhaps, DANG! These things,shrunk!

Dang Dongs. 😣

Unknown said...

They are much smaller than before. Not the same Ding Dog at all.

Unknown said...

Good memories from childhood but everything changes. Maybe we Americans can live with a more sensible portions on everything. Anyone notice the percentage if overweight people in our population? It is embarrassing . We have several new Americans in our church and they all express how HUGE American food portions are. We are the exception,, not the norm in the world as a whole. Fat Americans wanting Super sized portions all the time whining about our weight.

Buckaroo said...

Yes Ding Dongs were better foil wrapped and thicker chocolate and more cream inside. Dolly Madison owned the raspberry zinger but that shrunk too. We used to call fat women mash potato and cream gravy queens. It was our fathers who said that.

Buckaroo said...

I’ve never had a Ding Dog. Maybe your the Dingaling

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you. Plus the healthier options are so expensive.

Unknown said...

Just purchased the new Ding Dongs. Sadly disappointed. The size is smaller, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. But the recipe has changed. There used to be more cream, more chocolate coating and a fluffier cake. This tastes funny too, like artificial taste. Sad! Why buy a successful product line and then change the recipes?

Anonymous said...

I just had one for the first time in about 20-30 years and it's horrible. It's not the size that is the problem, it's the taste. It tastes like chemicals and it literally makes my tongue tingle - not in a good way. They should not be allowed to sell this garbage under the name Ding Dong, because they are not the same thing.

Unknown said...

The quality and size of all products has been greatly reduced, they keep going cheaper while charging more! I will not be participating in corporate greed.

Anonymous said...

They are totally different, way smaller and the frosting is different, it used to be a darker chocolate that was kind of brittle, now it's that same nasty chocolate they put on those mini donuts, that lighter brown weird tasting frosting. The cake is different inside and much less cream filling. Don't even taste the same any more. If this new company bought the recipes, why change em? People loved the original recipe, and the foil wrap. Won't buy these ever again.

Anonymous said...

Totally agree! The taste is quite a disappointment!☹️

Anonymous said...

Amen to that Anonymous

Gwennieb said...

I started eating Ring Dings in the gold foil wrap when I was in 3rd grade. Walk to school included a stop at convenience store on the way. They were 5 cents each. I'm now 62 and still eating another cake like that...Ding Dongs. Love that cream in the middle!!

Anonymous said...

Size shrunk, cost inflated.