The message at Fountaingate Fellowship for the past few weeks has been "Overcoming the Orphan Spirit". Here are the characteristics of an orphan spirit according to the sermon last week:
* blames others for their condition. Learn to own your junk. (this point resonated strongly with me)
* a feeling of hopelessness. No surprise: you have no inheritance, you have no feeling of security, heritage, or destiny.
* falls into a spirit of performance. Seeking approval.
* unable to put down roots.
* always on the lookout for something bigger and better; grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.
* tend to be emotionally led. Emotions are good, but what's not good is when our emotions dictate to us; we should have authority over our emotions, not the other way around.
* constantly in need of recognition.
* easily offended.
* feelings of abandonment even when one has not been abandoned.
* an attitude of "no one is gonna tell me what to do". I don't trust anybody but me.
* an attitude of "I know".
* a survivalist mentality. Always looking out for yourself because you can't trust anybody else.
* never truly comfortable in the presence of anointed spiritual fathers; a sense of inadequacy.
* reject others before they can reject you.