Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Brother X

I just came across a reminder that sometimes people in the church will address each other as "Brother Smith" or "Sister Nancy", etc.

Whereas I'm confident that God is in no wise offended by this, and whereas I'm also confident that it might actually serve a good purpose in reminding us that we are indeed brothers and sisters, I just want to point out that this practice is not Biblical.

Sometimes the New Testament writers would refer to each other as brothers or sisters, but as near as I can ascertain, they never addressed each other as "Brother This" or "Sister That".

So whereas the habit might have its positives, I think I'll not contribute to this practice which appears to be absent in the early church.

Just thought I'd make this observation.

No comments: