Thursday, April 11, 2024

The story of 1 Cor 16:1-2

Here's the story of 1 Cor 16:1-2.

There was going to be a famine in Judea. Paul was asked to get the Gentile churches to send famine-relief, from any disciples that had plenty. Paul was happy to do so. Paul got the Macedonians to save up a collection and he told the Corinthians to do the same thing. A year later he urged them to complete their gifting, so he could pick up the funds and take them to Judea, with a chaperone/accountant/watchdog. He sent some brothers to personally spur them on. He and Barnabas completed that famine-relief mission by taking the funds to Jerusalem.

Here are the scriptures:

WEB Gal 2:9 and when they perceived the grace that was given to me, James and Cephas and John, those who were reputed to be pillars, gave to Barnabas and me the right hand of fellowship, that we should go to the Gentiles, and they to the circumcision. 10 They only asked us to remember the poor—which very thing I was also zealous to do.

Acts 11:27 Now in these days, prophets came down from Jerusalem to Antioch. 28 One of them named Agabus stood up, and indicated by the Spirit that there should be a great famine all over the world, which also happened in the days of Claudius. 29 As any of the disciples had plenty, each determined to send relief to the brothers who lived in Judea; 30 which they also did, sending it to the elders by the hands of Barnabas and Saul.

1 Cor 16:1 Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I commanded the assemblies of Galatia, you do likewise. 2 On the first day of every week, let each one of you save, as he may prosper, that no collections are made when I come. 3 When I arrive, I will send whoever you approve with letters to carry your gracious gift to Jerusalem. 4 If it is appropriate for me to go also, they will go with me.

2 Cor 8:8 I speak not by way of commandment, but as proving through the earnestness of others the sincerity also of your love. ... 10 I give a judgment in this: for this is expedient for you who were the first to start a year ago, not only to do, but also to be willing. 11 But now complete the doing also, that as there was the readiness to be willing, so there may be the completion also out of your ability. ... 19 Not only so, but he was also appointed by the assemblies to travel with us in this grace, which is served by us to the glory of the Lord himself, and to show our readiness. 20 We are avoiding this, that any man should blame us concerning this abundance which is administered by us.

2 Cor 9: 2 for I know your readiness, of which I boast on your behalf to those of Macedonia, that Achaia has been prepared for the past year. Your zeal has stirred up very many of them. 3 But I have sent the brothers that our boasting on your behalf may not be in vain in this respect, that, just as I said, you may be prepared, 4 lest by any means, if anyone from Macedonia comes there with me and finds you unprepared, we (to say nothing of you) would be disappointed in this confident boasting. 5 I thought it necessary therefore to entreat the brothers that they would go before to you and arrange ahead of time the generous gift that you promised before, that the same might be ready as a matter of generosity, and not of greediness.

Acts 24:17 Now after some years, I came to bring gifts for the needy to my nation, and offerings;

No comments: