Thursday, April 11, 2024

Breaking the Second Commandment

 

Yahweh said:
WEB Ex 20:4 “You shall not make for yourselves an idol, nor any image of anything that is in the heavens above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: 5 you shall not bow yourself down to them, nor serve them, for I, Yahweh your God, am a jealous God....
A Gentile came to believe in Yahweh, and vowed:
2 Kings 5:17 Naaman said, “If not, then, please let two mules’ burden of earth be given to your servant; for your servant will from now on offer neither burnt offering nor sacrifice to other gods, but to Yahweh.
But his job, his livelihood, perhaps his very life, depended on making his boss happy, so he added one little addendum:
18 In this thing may Yahweh pardon your servant: when my master goes into the house of Rimmon to worship there, and he leans on my hand, and I bow myself in the house of Rimmon. When I bow myself in the house of Rimmon, may Yahweh pardon your servant in this thing.”
And Yahweh's prophet, Elisha, answered him:
19 He said to him, “Go in peace.”

No comments: