Thursday, April 11, 2024

An Old Testament Connection

 

WEB Matt 18:2 Jesus called a little child to himself, and set him in the middle of them 3 and said, “Most certainly I tell you, unless you turn and become as little children, you will in no way enter into the Kingdom of Heaven. 4 Whoever therefore humbles himself as this little child is the greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven.
I wonder if, when he said this, Jesus had in mind, and expected his hearers to have in mind, one of the greatest in the Kingdom of David, who humbled himself:
1 Kings 3:6 Solomon said, “You have shown to your servant David my father great loving kindness, because he walked before you in truth, in righteousness, and in uprightness of heart with you. You have kept for him this great loving kindness, that you have given him a son to sit on his throne, as it is today. 7 Now, Yahweh my God, you have made your servant king instead of David my father. I am just a little child. I don’t know how to go out or come in. 8 Your servant is among your people which you have chosen, a great people, that can’t be numbered or counted for multitude. 9 Give your servant therefore an understanding heart to judge your people, that I may discern between good and evil; for who is able to judge this great people of yours?”
If we aren't familiar with "the Old Testament" as were Jesus and his hearers, is it any wonder we miss these types of connections?

No comments: